Living in California I'm fortunate to have winter temps that only dip down to the low 40's but I know there are many readers that live elsewhere that are having blizzards right now. Stay warm! How? Roasted Cauliflower Soup--super easy and SO good for you--I used almond milk to make it creamy but feel free to go with a chicken or vegetable stock as well.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
The cauliflower is roasted before simmering to create a really rich flavor that adds lots of depth to this simple soup.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, white and pale green parts separated
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets and thinly sliced
- 4 cups high quality unsweetened almond milk OR vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds
- your favorite seasonings
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut the cauliflower florets into rough 1/2 inch pieces. Combine with onion, olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, and the pepper. Toss and distribute into even layer on a baking sheet. Roast until the cauliflower is golden brown, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or so. Transfer to a large saucepan and add almond milk (or vegetable stock), bay leaf, and white parts of scallions. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture directly in the saucepan until mostly smooth but still with some chunks of vegetables .Taste and adjust seasoning; adding your favorites to the soup.
- Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with almonds if you'd like and the green parts of the scallions, drizzle with olive oil. serve. enjoy.